Incomplete specification of behavior of validating processors on invalid documents with undeclared attribute types

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:09:35 -0400
To: xml-editor@w3.org
Section 3.3.3 of the XML 2nd edition spec states:

All attributes for which no declaration has been read should be treated
by a non-validating processor as if declared *CDATA*.

However, this problem can also occur when a *validating* processor reads
an *invalid* document that does not declare a particular attribute. The
behavior in this case is not specified though I suspect most processors
simply treat th attribute as CDATA. I propose that this sentence be
rewritten in some form like the following:

All attributes for which no declaration has been read should be treated
by a processor as if declared *CDATA*.

or

All attributes for which no declaration has been read should be treated
by a validating or non-validating processor as if declared *CDATA*.

|           The XML Bible, 2nd Edition (IDG Books, 2001)             |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:   http://www.cafeaulait.org/     |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News:  http://www.cafeconleche.org/   |