XML Processor: Incomplete definition?

From: Kelvin Yeow <whyeow@csc.uvic.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: xml-editor@w3.org
Hello all,

I am not sure if the definition of XML processor includes
the ability to create XML documents.

According to the definition stated in XML Recommendation,
"A software module called an XML processor is used
to read XML documents and provide access to their content
and structure."

If a software module provides facility to create and/or
modify XML documents on top of whatever that constitutes an
XML processor, then it would be incorrect to categorize
that software module as an XML processor (based on the
given definition). For example, XML4J provides facility
to create and/or modify XML documents in memory. Is
XML4J an XML processor? Or perhaps, the definition of
XML processor should include XML document "creation" (or
similar terms).

This is a trivial problem but using correct terminology is
an important step to avoid ambiguities. I am seeking advice on
how to address a software module such as XML4J.

Thank you,
Kelvin Yeow