Re: XML 1.0 Conformance Test Results

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:03:26 -0400
To: james.anderson@setf.de
CC: xml-editor@w3.org, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
james anderson wrote:

> During conformance tests I observed that numerous test cases include
> system identifiers which are not valid URI references. Yet the documents
> are categorized as valid. The recommendation sets constraints on syntax
> and interpretation of those references which _are_ URI references, but
> this reader could find no stipulation, that those system literals which
> _are not_ valid URI references are thereby in error.

They are not in error.  Section 4.2.2 as amended by erratum E4 makes
it clear that the XML processor is obliged to %-escape any characters
in a system identifier that are not URI-legal.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com