Declaring predefined entities

From: Mike Brown <mbrown@corp.webb.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:38:37 -0600
To: "'xml-editor@w3.org'" <xml-editor@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xml-2e-review-20000814#sec-predefined-ent

[E80]'s Rationale says "It was unclear whether the example declaration in
4.6 are normative or merely examples and what declarations are acceptable."

It is still unclear!

Am I allowed to define the amp, lt, gt, apos and quot entities to be *any*
single character reference, or *must* I use references to *certain*
characters?

Like would this be allowed? (crazy as it might be)

<!ENTITY amp "&#32;">

   - Mike
Mike J. Brown, software engineer at         My XML/XSL resources:
webb.net in Denver, Colorado, USA           http://www.skew.org/xml/