how to put consecutive spaces in an attribute value?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:48:31 -0500
To: xml-editor@w3.org
"The string type  may take any literal
string as a value"
	 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-attribute-types

So... how do I express "x  y" (that is: an 'x' character, followed by
two spaces, followed by a 'y' character) as an XML attribute value?

In conversation with James Clark (that I thought was recorded, but
I can't find the record) he said you can't, and the text agrees
with him:

"the XML processor must further process the
normalized attribute value by discarding any leading and trailing space
(#x20)
characters, and by replacing sequences of space (#x20) characters by a
single space
(#x20) character."
	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#AVNormalize

--