XML spec: Letter, Digit

From: John Stracke <francis@thibault.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:13:36 -0400
To: xml-editor@w3.org
I'm building an XML parser, and I'm somewhat confused by the
spec's productions Letter and Digit.  My concern is that, if
a new character set is defined next week, then existing XML
parsers won't consider any of its characters to be Letters
or Digits, so people whose language this is will have to use
foreign character sets for their XML.  I would have expected
to find that a NameChar could be anything other than a
certain range of punctuation needed by XML.  I'm sure you
must have had this discussion in the working group; can you
point me to an archive where I could read about it, please?

My inclination is to have my parser's NameChar accept any
non-ASCII character; this would protect users of
hypothetical future character sets, at the risk of
permitting people to write XML documents that other,
stricter parsers would reject.

|John Stracke        |http://www.thibault.org |"Hastur was para-|
|Francois Thibault   |========================/ noid, which was |
|Bhakail, East       |simply a sensible...well-adjusted reaction|
|francis@thibault.org| to living in Hell." -- _Good Omens_      |