Re: Some questions about XML 1.0

From: C M Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 19:35:54 -0500
To: d96-mst@d.kth.se
CC: xml-editor@w3.org, cmsmcq@acm.org
>From: d96-mst@d.kth.se (Mikael Ståldal)
>Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:07:37 +0100
>
>After reading the XML 1.0 spec, a few questions remain.
>
>Is it legal to have a reference to an external parameter entity inside
>an EntityValue?
>E.g:
><!ENTITY % somePe SYSTEM "foobar.ent">
><!ENTITY someEntity "a %somePe; b">

The XML Syntax WG has recently discussed this issue and agreed to
include in the errata a rule saying that this is NOT legal.  It is in
practice seldom useful, since external parameter entities must
match the extPE production (section 4.3.2).

>Should parameter entity references be recognized and expanded in
>AttValues inside the DTD (i.e. in [60] DefaultDecl)?
>E.g:
><!ATTLIST elem attr CDATA "a %somePe; b">

I am not going to be able to answer this without checking the
spec more carefully.

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 Senior Research Programmer, University of Illinois at Chicago