Re: 4.4.8 & handling of internal PE.

At 01:15 PM 12/11/98 -0800, Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart wrote:
>Section 4.4.8 of REC-xml-19980210 indicates:
>
>"Just as with external parsed entities, parameter entities need only
> be included if validating."
>
>This can be read as indicating that internal parameter entities need
>not be included by a non-validating XML processor.  Both Dave Brownell
>and myself think that this sentence may perhaps be intended to be say
>"external parameter entities".

No, this applies to all parameter entities; it is our belief that
parameter entities are included in XML only for the purpose of
supporting DTD construction, i.e. validation; thus if you're not
validating, they are not useful.  Furthermore, PEs are kind of
ugly and baroque in their design, and represent an unreasonable
workload for a lightweight on-the-client processor.

Your example must always produce the result "hello"... check the
last sentence of section 5.1

<!DOCTYPE foo [
    <! ENTITY % ent1 "&#60! ENTITY hi 'hello'> ">
    %ent1;
    <! ENTITY hi "bye">
]>

 -Tim