Re: XML Specification Errors

At 05:02 PM 7/8/98 -0700, you wrote:

Thanks for the note; nice to hear someone else in the Vancouver
area is looking at XML.

In general, we agree that the description of parameter entity
processing, which has already consumed more editorial cycles than
the rest of the spec, could still stand some improvement.  We're
saving up comments such as yours.  Also we can hope that a new
generation of schemas can do away with parameter entities altogether.

>1. In the example in section 4.4.5, I believe the text
>   "&YN;" should instead be "%YN;".

Yes, known bug.

>2. In section 2.4, there is an implication that the ampersand
>   is legal (in its literal form) within the literal entity
>   value of an internal entity declaration.  This appears to
>   contradict production [9] for EntityValue.  There is also
>   a mysterious reference to section 4.3.2.

Hmm, on review I think we're OK here, except for that phrase in 2.4
which could be seen as misleading.

>The "errata document" at http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata
>apparently not been updated since February 11.   Should I be looking
>somewhere else?

Nostra culpa.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-708-9592