Re: XML 1.0

>Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:03:46 -0500
>From: Mark Hennes <mhennes@ford.com>
>
>According to the specification
>
>document ::= prolog element Misc*
>prolog   ::= XMLDecl? Misc* (doctypedecl Misc*)?
>XMLDecl  ::= '<?xml' VersionInfo EncodingDecl? SDDecl? S? '?>'
>
>a document with an "XMLDecl" could not contain leading white space.
>I assume this is not an intentional constraint.

Actually, it is.  Requiring "<?" to be the first characters of
a document makes it feasible to attempt autodetection of the
character encoding, at least in the real world (in which virtually
all documents are encoded in character sets which are either
compatible with ISO 646 or with EBCDIC).  Allowing white space
before the encoding information would complicate the character-set
autodetection; for that reason, we do not allow it.

best regards,

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 Senior Research Programmer, University of Illinois at Chicago
 Editor, ACH/ACL/ALLC Text Encoding Initiative
 Co-coordinator, Model Editions Partnership

 cmsmcq@uic.edu, tei@uic.edu