From: "Christopher B Ferris" <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
To: "Alessandro Pira" <apira@kion.it>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>; <xml-dist-app-request@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: R: mistake in SOAP envelope XMLSchema

Ah, clearly I misunderstood your request.

As for SOAP1.1, that specification, nor it's schema is maintained by the
XML Protocol WG. The WS-I
Basic Profile [1], however, aligns with the direction that the XML
Protocol WG took in disallowing use of the
soap:encodingStyle attribute on the soap:envelope element:

R1005 An ENVELOPE MUST NOT contain soap:encodingStyle attributes on any
of
the elements whose namespace name is
"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/".

Since the WS-I Basic Profile is followed by most implementations, since
it
helps to improve the interoperability of those
implementations, it seems to me that any change to the SOAP1.1 schema is
also unnecessary.

[1] http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1-2006-04-10.html

Hope this helps,

Christopher Ferris
STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/chrisferris
phone: +1 508 234 2986

xml-dist-app-request@w3.org wrote on 11/14/2007 09:48:17 AM:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> thank you for your answer.
> Actually I was talking about SOAP 1.1 (not 1.2) and about this
XMLSchema: