Re: SOAP W3C Recommendation

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:35:32 -0500
To: "nicolas.fonnegra.martinez@oracle.com" <nicolas.fonnegra.martinez@oracle.com>
Cc: "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

SOAP messages must be serializable as XML (see [1]).  From the XML
Recommendation [2]:

"[Definition: A Name is a token beginning with a letter or one of a few
punctuation characters, and continuing with letters, digits, hyphens,
underscores, colons, or full stops, together known as name characters.]
Names beginning with the string "xml", or with any string which would
match (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l')), are reserved for standardization in
this or future versions of this specification."

So, it's very clearly in the Recommendations if you know where to look.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-soap12-part1-20070427/#soapenv
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-common-syn

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation