Re: ISSUE: Inconsistency in number of properties

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I can see your point here, but if I were to fix this at all, I think I'd
> split the table into a "Sender Properties", which would have Immediate
> Destination and Outbound Message, and a "Reciever Properties" table which
> would have only InboundMessage and ImmediateSender.  The terms
> InboundMessage and OutboundMessage are already established for other MEPs,
> and I quite strongly want to keep things consistent when the concepts are
> similar.

That would indeed be consistent.  I mentioned it because the status quo
has so far made (I think) three pieces of text somewhat harder to write.
> This does remind me of a new issue I hadn't noticed.  This MEP as drafted
> seems to obligate the binding to convey the identity of the sender to the
> receiver.  It's not at all clear to me that all the protocols you'd want
> to use with one-way have such "caller id" function.  I think that
> populating the ImmediateSender property at the receiver should be made
> optional with a MAY, and an explanation that some bindings will and some
> bindings won't do this.

I'd be fine with that.

In practice, though, there generally seems to be a natural fit for these
terms.  It's just that the natural fit may differ depending on which end
you're on.  It's not always caller ID because the transport may re-write
(in the case of chat, that's an explicit feature, protecting privacy).

E.g.

    * XMPP: Sender is "from", receiver is "to".  Depending on whether
      the message type is "normal" or "chat|groupchat", the sender and
      receiver may see different values of these.
    * Email: Sender is "from", receiver is "to" (or, perhaps, resent-to:
      if present -- that would be for the binding to decide)
    * Pub/sub: The "topic" or "subject" is a natural Receiver for the
      sender and Sender for the receiver.
    * UDP packets carry a sender and receiver.