Re: Signaling MEPs

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:57:13 -0500
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
On Mar 15, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> I think either of those options are problematic because each would be
> ignored when encountered by existing agents.

True enough, whatever we did would only be advisory since there's no
mU-type functionality in either of the mechanisms I suggested.

Doug Davis contacted me privately and suggested that we could also
consider doing something inside the envelope which is an option I
didn't mention. One thing that springs to mind is use of a
wsa:ReplyTo with a "none" [address].

> In general, deploying MEPs which aren't compatible extensions of
> existing MEPs is problematic because of this extensibility problem.
> Had SOAP 1.2 used RFC 2774 as SOAP 1.1 did, this wouldn't be as big an
> issue.

Agreed, though for the case of one-way there is some evidence that
implementations are already doing the right thing based on WSDL
information and the WS-I basic profile so its possible that we'd be
merely formalizing something that is already happening rather than
adding a new capability.

> And regarding the oneway example, can I ask why it's necessary to
> indicate the oneway-ness of an interaction in the request message?
> Any other motivating examples for this practice?

That's not entirely clear to me either (I just took the action to
start the conversation). One thing mentioned was to allow a receiver
to distinguish between request-response, request-optional-response
and one-way to enable it to follow the MEP contract accordingly.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.