Signaling MEPs

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:19:53 -0500
To: "Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I took an action at the F2F to start a discussion on signaling MEPs
in SOAP. Currently the SOAP 1.2 HTTP binding supports two MEPs and
the determination of which is in use can be made by looking at the
web method property: GET=Response MEP, POST=Request-Response MEP.
Adding new MEPs to the mix might require a different method to signal
the MEP: e.g. if we add support for a one-way MEP using HTTP POST,
how can a receiver tell that its a one-way rather than a request-
response ?

For HTTP we could consider adding a new HTTP header that specifies
the MEP in use. Alternatively we could consider adding a new
parameter to the media type, that would have the advantage of being
useable in other protocol bindings.

Thoughts ?
Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.