RE: The deep difference between request/response and fire-and-forget

David,

I would only point out that this largely depends upon what layer is doing
the
"forgetting". I could have an API that looks like a true FAF that
under-the-covers
spawns a thread that sends a req/resp over HTTP, waits for the HTTP
response
and then kills the thread. From the pespective of the code above that API,
it is a true FAF.

        void FAF(SOAPEnvelope message);

For that matter, as someone pointed out in an earlier missive, you could
also do the reverse over a FAF protocol, with messages travelling in
each direction such that the under-the-covers the binding layer opens
a port to receive a response, spawns a thread to send the message as a FAF
and then
correlates the response and returns it to the abstraction layer that
thinks
it is request/response.

        SOAPEnvelope RequestResponse(SOAP request) throws Exception;

For that matter, the RequestResponse above could have been effected using
two separate request/resonse exchanges, with the first request's response
providing a HTTP 303 Redirect that triggered a separate HTTP GET to
the redirected URI to retrieve the actual response to the original
request.
The application code above the API is oblivious to the machinations of the
layers below it, as should be the case.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com