RE: The deep difference between request/response andfire-and-forget

David Orchard writes:

> More to the point, I don't see why we'd need an request-optional-
> soap-response mep AND a f-a-f mep where f-a-f is interpreted as you
> suggested on the server.

...because when we implement SOAP on true FAF transports like UDP, and
maybe some flavors of Jabber (I have to go back and look at that) we'll
want the true FAF MEP and probably not the Req/Resp (I.e. because
Req/Resp, as we keep reminding ourselves, requires the transport to know
how to address responses, which in general UDP does not provide.)  FAF is
the natural MEP and should be used on one-way transports;  Req/Resp and/or
Response-only (which is more properly named
Request/ResponseWithEnvelopeInResponseOnly) are the natural MEPs and
should be used on Request/Response protocols like HTTP.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142