Re: The deep difference between request/response and fire-and-forget

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 01:06:26 -0500
To: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Cc: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

On 1/23/06, Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com> wrote:
> > no "breakage" when the connection is closed, because HTTP 1.1 cleanly
> > separates message semantics from connection state (HTTP 1.0, not so
> > much, though with responses, not requests).  Worst case, closing the
> > connection is an inefficient use of resources (the TCP connection),
>
> Sure, if the connection is closed at the "right time."
>
> But if the connection is closed while parts of the response are "in
> transit," and the server detects this, it is free to undo the efffects
> of the client's operation.

That's fine (though I doubt any server would bother), since the
client, by closing the connection, has declared that it doesn't care
whether the server processed the message successfully or not.  So
either way (success or fail), the resulting state of the system is
indeterminate from the client's POV (the determinism tradeoff I
mentioned).

Mark.