Re: Request-response and addressing

David,

On 1/18/06, David Hull <dmh@tibco.com> wrote:
>  To me, this implies that SOAP/HTTP and SOAP/<iq/> should define the
> request-response MEP (as they do), but SOAP/<message/>, SOAP/Email, SOAP/UDP
> etc. should not.

I agree with everything you say, except where you mention SOAP/UDP.

I don't see any problem with defining a request/response mechanism on
top of UDP, just as I don't see any problem with defining a
request/response mechanism on top of TCP (as HTTP does, for example).
"Request" and "response" are both application layer concepts, and so
are the purview of application protocols; transports know nothing of
them (another aspect of the difference between transport and
transfer).

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.       http://www.markbaker.ca