Re: The role of transfer protocols

In my previous message, I stated that "In any case, 'the SOAP HTTP
binding is a *transfer* protocol' is a conclusion, not a premise."  This
is not quite what's going on.  Depending on what exact properties make a
protocol a "transfer protocol", the statement may be perfectly
reasonable, particularly since "transfer protocol" is the "TP" in HTTP.

The real problem comes from the unstated premise that transfer protocols
can't also be transport protocols, with the presumed definition of
"transport protocol" as one that serves strictly to move data around in
some larger context.  This is in fact one of the major points of
contention.  Arguing that there is some sort of incorrect assumption
about layering /because/ SOAP/HTTP is a transfer protocol is only valid
if we accept the hidden premise.

Sorry for any potential confusion.