Re: Fw: SOAP 1.1 One-way HTTP Binding doc

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I'm not sure where to go with this.  One of the responsibilities of MEPs
> in general is to indicate where faults will be delivered.  In the case of
> req/resp, they are to be delivered to the requestor, I.e. whatever the

Do you mean req-resp where it is a SOAP req and a SOAP response OR
req-resp where it is a SOAP req and a transport response?
I think there are different implications for faults depending on whether
the response is a SOAP res or a transport-level-only response.

> binding considers to be the requestor.  Typically, as in HTTP, this is
> implemented by the underlying transport, which keeps a connection open and
> knows how to get back to the requestor without any explicit addreses at
> the HTTP level (of course, down at the IP level, an IP address and port is
> known.)
>
> While I agree that we don't in general talk about how promptly processing
> is done, it seems to me to be a misuse of req/resp to claim that the SOAP
> fault that results from processing a SOAP message is either intentionally
> lost, or delivered to some place that's potentially different from the
> requestor.  That's a fine thing to do if you want it, but it's a different
> MEP.   Of course, we're in the process of "clarifying" the MEP, and maybe
> we could/should "clarify" it to state that a responder that sends no
> envelope is making no warranty as to whether SOAP processing has yet been
> done, and in the case that it's not been done, that the MEP has nothing to
> say about fault routing.

That is what I'm leaning towards.
Basically, I want to allow the following usecase:
1) a soap request gets sent over HTTP request with WSA FaultTo and
ReplyTo as non-anonymous.
2) the HTTP server that gets the message pushes it on a queue
successfully but does not do any SOAP processing.
3) A 202 status code with empty entity body is returned in the HTTP response
4) subsequently, another agent dequeues the SOAP message, processes it
and sends the response/fault to the appropriate address specified by WSA
ReplyTo/FaultTo

If this means that it can't use req-res MEP that is defined/clarified,
then we would need another MEP (say a 'one-way' MEP) that can be used.