Re: The deep difference between request/response and fire-and-forget

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Anish Karamarkar writes:
>

>> For that matter, it is also possible to do R-R over FAF.
>

> Well, I've tried to make the case several times that this is not entirely
> true, depending on the reliability and delivery semantics you want.  What
> I mean is, you don't get req/resp out of merely sending one message in
> each direction.  The problem is that the Request and the Response are not
> symmetric, and that r/r usually implies reliability insofar as you are
> waiting for the response and thus doing low level retries.

I agree that one doesn't get req/resp out of merely sending one
transport-level message over a transport that is FAF. Perhaps we are
talking about the same thing here. Not sure.

What I was trying to say was that when we talk about MEP abstractions,
it is perfectly possible to layer one-way MEP abstraction over
inherently req-res transports (because the layer that deals with the MEP
does not see or is aware of the transport level response). Similarly, it
is also possible to do a R-R MEP over FAF transports such as UDP/SMTP,
by using additional transport level constructs (or SOAP headers) -- the
transport binding for the MEP can certainly require
blocking/retransmission of the transport level messages till a response
is received.

> HTTP over TCP winds up sending quite a few one way packets at the low
> level.  Furthermore, Req/Resp usually relies on the underlying transport
> to keep a session open and to address the response.  UDP, for example,
> doesn't do this unless you rebuild quite a bit of the equivalent of TCP on
> top of it.

Agreed.
And if we had a UDP binding for req-response, we would have to build
stuff on top.

If you are arguing for a "one-way" MEP (which does not require a
transport level response) regardless of whether we come up with R-O-R
(not sure if you are) as DavidH is, then I agree. There are lot of cases
where the underlying transport is a FAF transport and the MEP that is
required is a 'one-way' MEP without any transport level response.
Requiring one-way messaging over FAF transport to build mechanisms for a
transport-level response because all that is available is a R-O-R MEP
(which requires a transport level response) puts unnecessary burden. I
tried to make this point during last week's call.

-Anish