Re: Constraints for multicast

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:36:38 -0700
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
CC: David Hull <dmh@tibco.com>, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> David Hull writes:
>
>> "The proposal to allow multicast suggests that the API might need to
>> allow multiple addresses."  This is certainly not the intent of the
>> proposed text.  To take an example, if I send email to {dmh@tibco.
>> com, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com}, that would be two instances of the
>> MEP.  If I send email to {xml-dist-app@w3.org}, that would be one
>> instance, just as if I sent to {dmh@tibco.com}.  In other words,
>> there is exactly one ImmediateDestination per MEP instance, just as
>> the table says.
>
> When I send an email to a local distribution list (e.g. to: xml-interest
> or some such) it's not uncommon for my mailer to pop up a warning in the
> spirit of the following, one I would never see in sending to an
> individual:
>
>         Warning: email addresses BobSmith, MaryJones, TommySlim not found,
> continue sending to the other 53 users on this list?

Isn't this a binding specific error?
One could get a simliar error when sending an email to an address which
is not a mailing list (without the question about 'continue sending').
Since we are really talking about fire-and-forget, I don't think these
errors or warnings have a relevance at the MEP-level.

I do share Noah's concern about feature-creep and finishing up our
one-way MEP work. I would prefer that our one-way MEP allow folks to use
it for multicast (our MEP spec should not prevent it), but we shouldn't
go into modeling it explicitly.

-Anish
--

<snip/>