Re: Response envelope optional vs. response optional

Anish:  I think you're not emphasizing as much as I am that a SOAP MEPs
are contracts implemented by a SOAP binding to a transports nothing more.
They are not responsible for answering every question you might have about
which SOAP envelopes are related to which other SOAP envelopes;  the
answer that question only insofar as a particular transport binding cares.
  By definition, a SOAP MEP never involves more than one binding or more
than one use of a single binding.  An MEP is a feature of a binding.

Now, let's take an example where you send over HTTP a SOAP request with a
wsa:ReplyTo.  We use my proposed MEP and get back a 202.  In my terms, the
MEP is done.  Note that the ReplyTo may cause a message to be sent over
JMS, Jabber, or something completely unrelated to the HTTP binding for
which we had an MEP.   So, that later reply will necessarily be using a
different SOAP MEP, I.e. the one implemented by the SOAP transport used to
for reply delivery.

My view is:

* A SOAP MEP is a contract with a particular transport binding.

* Higher level specifications, such as WSDL and/or WSA can use the SOAP
level MEPs as building blocks to enable patterns that may be correlated
across multiple bindings, or multiple invocations of the same binding.
That's like saying that to order an airline ticket I'll first do a round
trip to select a date, then another to provide my credit card.  We don't
say that HTTP has some odd notion of double request response.  We note
that the higher level pattern is built of repeated uses of HTTP's simple
r/r pattern.

* SOAP MEPs allow us to document that two or more bindings implement
similar contracts, and are thus likely to be usable in similar situations,
sometimes even transparently to the application.  WSDL and WSA MEPs do the
same thing for patterns that involve multiple bindings or uses of
bindings.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation