Re: Response envelope optional vs. response optional

Anish:  thanks for your thoughtful reply.  I think this is very helpful in
moving us forward:

Anish Karamarkar writes:

> This makes the name of the SOAP MEP a misnomer. As DavidH calls
> it: a cheese sandwich with no bread.  The request-response MEP
> consists of a Request SOAP env and a Response SOAP env.  Either
> we have to rename the SOAP MEP or specify how the Response SOAP
> env may be delivered (using a different HTTP connection) when
> the 202/204 status is used.

I mildly disagree.  As I mentioned in my earlier note, the crucial
characteristic of this pattern is that there >is< a mandatory response.
The client invariably waits for a response, and always gets one.  The only
question is whether that response carries an envelope.  I think it's a
meat and veggie sandwich in which the meat can be left out to suit the
taste of vegetarians.

Still, if we want to adopt the design and change the name to something
else reasonable that would be OK I think. For the reason above, I don't
think I'd want to call it Request/Optional-Response, though I might live
with that too if pressed.

> Either we have to rename the SOAP MEP or specify how the
> Response SOAP env may be delivered (using a different HTTP
> connection) when the 202/204 status is used.

I would disagree very strongly with talking about the subsequent delivery
of the SOAP Response in the cases where a 202/204 was returned.  My view
is that, with this pattern, there is no obligation to do anything further
at all after the 202/204, at least not at the SOAP level.  If some higher
level pattern chooses to deliver other SOAP messages as a result of this
interaction, so be it.  My intent was that this SOAP MEP also be usable in
cases where a single SOAP envelope was to be sent over HTTP, a 202/204
returned, and nothing further happens.

I think it's very important that we not be tempted into mixing higher
level messaging patterns into the SOAP MEPs.  The SOAP MEPs are a contract
that helps to make bindings interchangeable, IMO.  If two bindings
implement the same SOAP MEP(s), then the chances are good that you can
switch from one to the other.  So, if a non-HTTP transport implemented the
binding we're discussing, it too would be usable to deliver a message with
a wsa:ReplyTo.  In neither case would we be discussing how the actual
reply is to be delivered, as that is covered at a higher level by WSA.

So, I don't want to talk about the higher level response.  If that means
renaming the binding then that's OK with me, but I'm not convinced it's
necessary.  Doing so may or may not make it a bit harder to take this
through the W3C process quickly.  In particular Req/Resp is a normative
part of SOAP 1.2, so other specs and implementations may in principle
refer to it by name.  If we change the name, then I think that's an
incompatibility of a sort, albeit a minor one operationally.  My vote for
now would be to keep the name.

Thanks!
Noah

Noah Mendelsohn