Re: [Fwd: Toward more fully-formed options]

From: David Hull <dmh@tibco.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:29:09 -0500
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Mark Baker wrote:

>On 12/14/05, David Hull <dmh@tibco.com> wrote:
>

>> What's a response?
>>

>I'm not sure I follow, but;
>
>http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec6.html#sec6

I just wanted to be sure you meant "HTTP response" and not some other
kind (e.g, SOAP envelope, but that's specifically excluded).

Section 6 that you link starts with " After receiving and interpreting a
request message, a server responds with an HTTP response message."  As
far as I can tell, the only way you don't get a response back is in the
event of a failure, either of the server or the transport.  The client
can't generally tell the difference, so I lump these together under
"transport failure", as in

   5. Transport failures may occur anywhere, including an in-only MEP
      over a fire-and-forget transport.  If this is to be considered as
      a SOAP message, each subitem of 3 /[and probably other items as
      well] /will need to be amended in a tedious but straightforward way.

If I've missed some other possibility, please let me know.