RE: Possible defect in XOP and MTOM

I respectfully disagree for two reasons:

1) since XOP references XML Schema, saying  "data not in the canonical
representation of the base64Binary datatype"  does not exclude the possible
presence of comment information items or processing instruction information
items intermixed with the character information items in the content of the
element, because XML Schema's validation process ignores those information
items (*).

2) the Introduction does not have normative force, and so it can only
describe in summary terms what the normative parts of the Recommendation
specify in a normative manner;  but there is no normative statement that
says that an element information item candidate for optimization "MUST" only
contain character information items.

I believe the normative text should state that the element information item
MUST only contain character information items, and those character
information items MUST be the canonical lexical representation of a value in
the value space of xs:base64Binary.

Alessandro

> That said, it might be helpful to add a clarification in errata, if
> the opportunity presents itself.
>
> Cheers,

(*)

3.1.4 White Space Normalization during Validation

Throughout this specification, [Definition:]  the initial value of some
attribute information item is the value of the [normalized value] property
of that item. Similarly, the initial value of an element information item is
the string composed of, in order, the [character code] of each character
information item in the [children] of that element information item.

The above definition means that comments and processing instructions, even
in the midst of text, are ignored for all .validation. purposes.

[Definition:]  The normalized value of an element or attribute information
item is an .initial value. whose white space, if any, has been normalized
according to the value of the whiteSpace facet of the simple type definition
used in its .validation.: