Re: XOP compatible with SOAP 1.1 processors?

Costello,Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am looking at the two technologies that have been created to enable
> bundling a SOAP document with non-XML stuff (e.g., binary files):
>
> - SOAP 1.1 provides "SOAP with Attachments"
>
> - SOAP 1.2 provides "XOP" (and the ancillary technologies XMLMIME and
> MTOM)
>
> Here's how I interpret these two technologies, in a nutshell:
>
> 1. Both require that the SOAP message and the non-XML stuff be bundled
> in a MIME multipart package.
>
> 2. SOAP 1.1 provides no standard XML tag for use in referencing, within
> the SOAP message, the non-XML stuff.  For example, your SOAP message
> could reference the non-XML stuff like this:
>
>      <foobar href="stuff"/>

Please see the Attachment Profile (AP) 1.0 [1] from WS-I which profiles
SOAP 1.1, WSDL 1.1 and SwA. AP 1.0 defines a new XML schema simple type
swaRef which is meant to reference a MIME part in the same MIME package.

-Anish
--

[1] http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/AttachmentsProfile-1.0-2004-08-24.html