Re: WSDL is oriented client?

I think Noah's primary point is that you shouldn't think of web
services only in terms of the client/server message exchange pattern
(MEP). Web services supports many different MEPs. At its core, SOAP is
a messaging system, not an RPC system. A more accurate description of
the participating entities is sender/receiver rather than
client/server. In a peer-to-peer scenario, both/all participating
parties can play the roles of sender and receiver, so there is no
"client" versus "server".

But, I take it that your question is focused on the use of SOAP for
client/server invocations. So working with a request/response MEP
constraint...

Typically, a server doesn't use a WSDL document at runtime to
interpret requests or to dispatch requests to a specific service.
Instead the server uses a deployment descriptor (WSDD) which provides
specific information for mapping the abstract WSDL interface to the
concrete implementation. Depending on the approach you take when
building the service you may start with WSDL and use it to generate
the WSDD and a skeleton for the service. Alternatively, a developer
can start with code and a WSDD and generate the WSDL.

Clients, on the other hand, pretty much always start with WSDL.
Clients may compile a WSDL document a priori and use the generated
proxy to invoke services, or they may interpret the WSDL document
dynamically at runtime.

Anne