XML Definition Question

From: Daniel Zingaro <daniel_zingaro@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:52:16 -0400
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Hi all,

I have a question about the XML definition, found at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/

I am working on an XML parser for a university course, and am confused about the sentences derived from the document nonterminal. The specifications says that

      document ::= prolog element Misc* - Char* RestrictedChar Char*

I am not understanding something, because it looks to me in this definition that only one element is allowed in the specification (otherwise element would be written element+). I know this is not true, since underneath this, it goes on to explain that you can have any number of elements in the XML document. Would someone please explain how this can be true and how this document grammar is correct?

Thanks!
Dan