Describing MTOM/XOP in WSDL

From: Glen Daniels <gdaniels@sonicsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:53:45 -0400
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Greetings XMLPers!

At our recent WSDL face-to-face, we discussed how users would use WSDL
2.0 to describe services which support or require the MTOM/XOP
optimization with SOAP/HTTP.

Since MTOM, and more importantly the HTTP Transmission Optimization
Feature (defined in [1]), are well-defined features per the SOAP
extensibility model, and since WSDL 2.0 already has syntax for
expressing supported or required features, we came to the conclusion
that we would not add any new syntax to WSDL 2.0 specifically for

I sent the following to the WSDL group earlier today:

In fulfillment of my action item from the F2F, the following snippet in
our current syntax seems to be all you would need to ensure that the
HTTP Transmission Optimization Feature described in [1] is utilized:

<feature uri="http://www.w3.org/2003/06/soap/features/http-optimization"

This would go in your SOAP binding.  If your underlying protocol binding
did not support this feature, you'd get a fault.  Otherwise, you'd get
MTOM/XOP serialized messages.

Specifying the feature with required="false" would indicate to a user
that MTOM/XOP serialization is supported by the service, but not

We wanted to swing this by you folks to see if you had any
comments/thoughts on the subject, and to make sure that you felt this
was a correct solution.  Does this seem the right thing to you?