RE: Features: required implementation and use (was Re: Describing which blobs are to be optimized.)

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:25:53 -0700
To: <paul.downey@bt.com>, <asirv@webmethods.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
Cc: <gdaniels@sonicsoftware.com>, <hugo@w3.org>, <jmarsh@microsoft.com>, <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, <www-ws-desc@w3.org>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> so i don't follow what further hints are required in WSDL. an agent
> can make intelligent (or dumb) decisions at runtime whether
> to optimise
> an element based upon all sorts of criteria not know at describe time

In my mind the use of hints to indicate element-level optimization can
still be useful to indicate those optimizations that are critical for
the successful outcome of the message exchange. It's a hook to allow the
application-level to transmit its own needs to the optimization
machinery below. That way, for example, some WSDL-independent run-time
optimization policy could get further tuned by the presence of
WSDL-specified optimization hints.

Optimization of base64 strings is not, by the way, a good thing by
default. It has a cost/benefits trade off, and some applications might
want to have a direct say in that trade-off, instead of just relying on
a generic optimization engine.

Ugo