From: xml-dist-app-request@w3.org [mailto:xml-dist-app-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of ext Patrick Steer
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 10:47 AM
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: Re: Requirements for attachments^H^H^H transport optimisation

I think it would be useful to spend a little time identifying the
higher-level requirements surrounding MTOM and the like. These are the
ones I'm aware of: 1) Reduce "bytes on the wire", to improve bandwidth
usage / transport latency. 2) Reduce processing overhead during the
generation and consumption of messages. 3)
Enable selective reordering in the serialization of message components,
to allow flexibility in processing. The third deserves a bit more
explanation; a use case might be placing a large binary file after the
SOAP envelope in the serialized message, so that an intermediary (or
ultimate receiver, for that matter) can act upon the message before
reading all of the bytes off the wire.

Are there any other high-level requirements associated with the abstract
MTOM feature? I think it would be nice to call these out in the document
at some point. It would also be good to note that these can all be seen
as encoding issues and nothing more.
http://xml.project-web.org
http://ebooks.die-werbung.de
http://project-web.org