Re: entity header

On Jan 16, 2004, at 9:11 AM, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Mark,
>
> the UC2 is the driving scenario for this feature. The word 'cache'
> implies an HTTP cache which carries a lot of complexity and so it's not
> called out in UC2.

Well, that's one type of cache; I've maintained that it isn't necessary
to do a full HTTP cache, so I think we're in agreement.

> But even for a full-fledged cache using the Representation header it's
> the Infoset that feeds the cache and it doesn't matter, what the XOP
> MIME packages look like. Perhaps my previous comment was misdirected by
> misinterpretation of your text.

I'm not sure I understand this paragraph. The use case for the
Representation header is surfacing a MIME part in the Infoset, so that
people who want to do UC2 can talk about it -- as a whole -- in XML
terms.

> I think we agree that XOP/MTOM don't care about Representation, that in
> fact Representation doesn't care about those two (but the combination
> is, in fact, useful), and that for a full cache more than just
> content-type is necessary. My latest proposal for Representation header
> gives an example how further information can be added to the header by
> an extension. We may specify that extension, if we choose to do so.
> Personally, I don't think it's worth it, I think the bare and simple
> Representation will do in practice.

Is your proposal roughly equivalent to mine;
   http://www.w3.org/mid/64B2F465-413B-11D8-A34B-00039396E15A@bea.com