Re: entity header

From: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:59:55 -0500
Cc: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, XMLP Dist App <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@systinet.com>

On Jan 14, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Oh, I totally forgot about the content-type thing... MarkN and Yves
> reminded me that I also expect we'd use something like the
> xmime:content-type attribute on the body (Data) element instead of
> making it a metadata property.

I don't think it's "instead." Rather, it's "in addition to."

> With this, I think the metadata element
> should go from the core proposal because it's no longer needed.
> Basically, I suggest we go back to

It's true that the only part that's interesting to MIFFYizing the
entity's body is the Content-Type; however, there are other bits of
metadata that may be interesting to the application that uses the
header. If we don't enable other headers, there will be loss of
information when an XML entity is transcoded to a MIME entity.

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems