Re: XML 1.1 Impact on SOAP

Noah,

I think I understand your position. I've always viewed the situation in
the opposite way: I thought it was *not* our intention to restrict SOAP
to XML 1.0, and if such restrictions were inadvertently introduced
(which could really only be verified after XML 1.1 was in place), they
should be removed.

There are incompatibilities between XML 1.0 and XML 1.1, that's of
course why the version number has changed. Certainly, these problems
were carefully weighed before XML 1.1 was introduced.

Currently, no WS spec I know uses non-US-ASCII characters in element
names, but also no WS spec I know explicitly puts any XML-1.0-related
restrictions on the extensibility elements or the payloads. The legal
content of a SOAP envelope is the infoset, is that tied specifically to
XML 1.0? I don't think so.

I think the general principle should be that a spec layered on top of
another spec should not restrict the underlying layer just because of
possible problems that occur only on that layer.

If XML 1.1 dropped attributes, SOAP would rightfully restrict itself to
XML 1.0 because it uses attributes (mU, role etc). Since SOAP itself is
unaffected by XML 1.1, it shouldn't care about it.

I see two possible outcomes here (the others I view, with no hard
backing material, as extremely unlikely):

1) XML 1.1 capabilities will prove virtually unused (not necessarily
useless), people will do without them, world continues with XML 1.0.

2) XML 1.1 capabilities will prove useful, people start using them,
developers just shrug and add XML 1.1 support, world slowly and mostly
painlessly moves to XML 1.1. Should we then have to introduce a new
version of SOAP (or of a part of it) to handle XML 1.1?

Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Systinet Corporation
                   http://www.systinet.com/