W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > xml-dist-app@w3.org > February 2004

XML 1.1 Impact on SOAP

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:00:07 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF15531172.851EAFC5-ON85256E37.00788CD8@lotus.com>

A few days ago I sent a sequence of notes [1,2] raising some issues
relating to XML 1.1 and its possible impact on SOAP.  The issue is logged
at [3].  On today's WG call I took an action to send this note, which is to
explicitly urge you all to begin discussion of these issues here on this

Note that, since writing [1,2] I have noticed an additional feature of XML
1.1:  it expands in an open-ended way the set of characters usable in the
names of XML elements and attributes.  In addition to the issues already
raised, I believe we need to decide if and when such names are allowed in
the content of SOAP Headers and Bodies.  Note that an XML 1.0 Serialization
cannot represent such names.

Thank you.


[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Feb/0006.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Feb/0010.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues#x458

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
Received on Wednesday, 11 February 2004 17:00:45 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 22:01:25 UTC