Re: Data model task force recommends adoption of data model formulation

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:28:40 -0400
To: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Cc: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Rich Salz writes:

> > like a good idea to me. Personally I don't find the XQuery Data Model
> > spec overly complex, particularly when compared to PSVI which would be
> > another alternative.
>
> One thing to consider is the amount of "extra reading" being put on the
> SOAP user and development community.  Less is better. :)

Indeed, but to what conclusion does that lead us?  I had some hope that
you and others from the DSig community would find the DM approach
attractive, in part because your own c14n [1] calls on readers to become
familiar with the earlier version of the XPath data model.  Though it does
not appear urgent, I would have thought that the natural evolution would
be to move c14n toward the XPath 2.0 model.  So, what is "extra reading"
depends a bit on what you were already reading.

I can see this one either way.  SOAP is Infoset.  Schema is Infoset. Query
is XPath 2.0/Query 1.0 DM, XML C14N is XPath 1.0 DM.  I think we're
getting near the point where all of these should come together.  I do take
the point that, typing issues aside, Infoset is clearly the most natural
model in which to discuss SOAP, at least for the forseeable future.

Thanks.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n

One Rogers Street