Re: New XMLP Issue Relating to Canonical Forms

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:48:33 -0400
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org

At 4:53 PM -0400 10/9/03, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

>* The SOAP Rec is unambiguous, to be a SOAP binding you must preserve the
>Infoset, which means you must preserve the characters even if in
>non-canonical form (especially since SOAP doesn't even know about types!)
>If it's an integer, you must preserve leading zeros, and if it's
>base64Binary you must preserve whitespace, etc.

Given that SOAP already forbids the document type declaration, I
don't think XML canonicalization would affect any of these things.
XML canonicalization does not perform Unicode normalization on text,
nor does it remove leading zeroes, trim white space, etc. I think the
only part of the infoset canonicalization affects involves the
document type declaration (canonicalization removes it) but SOAP
doesn't allow that in the first place.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu