Re: New XMLP Issue Relating to Canonical Forms

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:48:33 -0400
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org

At 4:53 PM -0400 10/9/03, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

>* The SOAP Rec is unambiguous, to be a SOAP binding you must preserve the
>Infoset, which means you must preserve the characters even if in
>non-canonical form (especially since SOAP doesn't even know about types!)
>If it's an integer, you must preserve leading zeros, and if it's
>base64Binary you must preserve whitespace, etc.

Given that SOAP already forbids the document type declaration, I
don't think XML canonicalization would affect any of these things.
XML canonicalization does not perform Unicode normalization on text,
nor does it remove leading zeroes, trim white space, etc. I think the
only part of the infoset canonicalization affects involves the
document type declaration (canonicalization removes it) but SOAP
doesn't allow that in the first place.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)