Proposed resolution to SOAP 1.2 Rec Issue #15

From: <michael.mahan@nokia.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:21:13 -0500
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Proposed resolution to SOAP 1.2 Rec Issue #15
(http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x15), for
consideration by the XMLP WG.

I support the submitter proposed change to the import declaration
in the SOAP envelope schema [1] from:

<xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">

to:

<xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
    schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd">

Rationale:

To provide for the xml:lang attribute for faultstring, the SOAP
envelope schema [1] was amended to import the namespace
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace according to this proposal [2].
However, the import declaration does not define the optional
schemaLocation attribute that supplies a validating parser a mechanism
to reference the schema that defines this imported namespace. The
processing behavior for the xml:lang attributed element (faultstring)
should conform to 'lax' processing semantics and thus should validate
iff an element declaration is provided.

As a schema layman, it seems that validating parsers should have special
knowledge of this namespace which defines some core xml attributes:
xml:base, xml:lang, and xml:space. However, for maximal generality and
tool interoperability, it seems that the SOAP envelope should support
this schemaLocation hint. However, I would like to hear the counterpoint
from those more schema experienced before closing this issue.

Regards,
Mike Mahan
Nokia

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope/