Re: Content-free Header and Body elements

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:41:29 -0400
To: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Cc: Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 10:03 US/Eastern, Rich Salz wrote:

> Marc Hadley wrote:
>> One solution to this would be to leave part 1 unchanged and update
>> the SOAP message normalization note[1], adding removal of empty
>> Header elements to the algorithm.
>
> That removes the ambiguity for signing, but if the original message
> but it doesn't allow anyone to add a header if the original message
> has no Header EII, as Gudge pointed out.  His belief is that this is
> not the intent.

Ah, yes I missed that. I suppose one *could* interpret rule #1 that way
so some clarification text would be useful. An additional sentence in
rule #3 would probably suffice:

3. Element information items for additional header blocks MAY be added
to the [children] property of the SOAP Header element information item
as detailed in 2.7.2 SOAP Forwarding Intermediaries. In this case, a
SOAP Header element information item MAY be added if not already
present.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>