Re: SOAP MIME Type

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:02:08 -0400
To: John Kemp <john.kemp@earthlink.net>
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

John Kemp asks:

>> May I ask why you would preclude use of 1.1 envelopes?

I think there are two legitimate answers to this.  The somewhat fascecious
and negative answer would be:

a) For the same reason you don't allow an image/gif to contain an
image/jpeg stream, even if that's what the server prefers to send back.
You COULD define image/gif to allow both, but it would reduce the utility
of the media type as a negotation and dispatch mechanism.  For the same
reason, the application/soap+xml (which might better be named
application/soap12+xml) is defined to rather strictly accept one format.

or the more liberal:

b) The media type isn't going to be completely useful in negotiating
interop at the soap level. The media type definition is changed to include
both forms of a soap request, and you have to look at the root qname to
see which you've got.

I think my preference is for (a), particularly since SOAP 1.1 (for better
or worse) encouraged text/xml anyway.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142