final decision on well-formedness checking

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:49:07 +0600
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

What was the final verdict from the discussion on whether a SOAP
impl needs to do well-formedness checking?

I would prefer if one could respond with a non well-formed
response for bad requests such as those rather than to force every
implementation to walk thru the whole message before doing anything.
Streaming is dammed in that case.

It seems to me that non well-formed requests are VERY unlikely
(especially on TCP style streaming/reliable transports) except
in the case of major SOAP stack bugs. Forcing well-formedness
checking would cut out a major perf improvement opportunity to
cover a case that's way off the 80-20 or 90-10 or even 95-5 split.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.