RE: Opaque data, XML, and SOAP

serialization,
> > what does 'embedding it in the infoset' mean?
> >
> +1. IMO we need a standard mechanism for 'abstractly including' binary
> data in an infoset. By 'abstractly including' I mean that the data is
> included in an abstract sense rather than included literally as CIIs.
> 'Binary smart' processing can take account of the abstract inclusion,
> existing processing can ignore it.

Bingo. I want to use my XML-based schema languages to describe how
binary works in my message. Please don't make me invent another schema
language for describing messages (a la WSDL/1.1 Section 5).

> In practice this would probably take the form of a standard reference
> mechanism within the SOAP message and an external MIME envelope to
hold
> the SOAP message and (none, some or all of) the associated binary data
> (the none/some cases allowing for external references to support the
> portable cache metaphor). If required, the reference could be flexible
> enough to allow inlining using a suitable encoding.

+1. And of course, for completely low-functioning
receivers/intermediaries, one could if desired drop down to pure XML 1.0
and base64.

I think people underestimate the impact of having two data models when
considering intermediaries (or the SOAP stacks in ultimate receivers)
that are ignorant of SwA/WS-Attachments/DIME.

DB