Re: [whenToUseGet] PUT/POST & GET with SOAP

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:02:32 +0600
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "'Ian B. Jacobs'" <ij@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Hi Noah,

> * So-called RPC-Literal, which seems to be emerging from the WSDL work
> group.  My understanding is that they are taking advantage of the
> lattitude in SOAP to use [1] without [2].  The REST guidelines apply
> equally to such RPC-literal as to RPC encoded, IMO.  Indeed, there is some
> reason to believe that RPC literal is emerging as the dominant usage
> pattern for SOAP RPC, but we'll see.

There is a move to eliminate the document/rpc split in WSDL ..
which would result in quite a simplification IMO. The WG has not
yet accepted this, but I believe it is possible.

RPC would then simply become an application of the request/response
pattern. In all likelihood there will be some hints which indicate
that the messages being sent are defined using RPC conventions in
mind, but probably nothing more than that.

This is all highly speculative and my personal opinion at this time.

Sanjiva.