Re: New Attachments Issues

So, to paraphrase, you would say that:

(1) We DO NOT expect intermediaries to preserve what is serialized as
attachments and what is serialized inside the SOAP envelope.

(2) The binding determines which nodes to serialize as attachments in
an implementation specific manner.

That's certainly a coherent answer to the two issues.

Your proposed answers probably have some implications for the set of
security technologies we can apply to messages containing attachments,
e.g. I expect it would prevent use of S/MIME or PGP-MIME. It also means
that digital signatures must always be calculated on the text data
representation of attachments and verified using the same - i.e. even
if you use attachments to optimize the transfer, if you are using XML
security that includes the attachment data then you always need to
compute the base64 transform at both sender and receiver.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>