RE: SOAP Schema

From: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:02:03 -0500
To: "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Adonis Amore" <infoletter@myrealbox.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org, xml-dist-app-request@w3.org

Don't we need:

  <xs:element ref='tns:Fault' />
  <xs:element ref='tns:Envelope' maxOccurs='unbounded' />
  <xs:element ref='tns:Header' maxOccurs='unbounded' />
  <xs:element ref='tns:Body' maxOccurs='unbounded' />
  <xs:any namespace='##other' minOccurs='0' maxOccurs='unbounded' />
</xs:choice>

In other words, don't we allow more than one child of the body?

Actually, I have a deeper concern.  While I would generally discourage
anyone from misusing our namespace, I'm not convinced this is the place to
enforce the restriction.  In other words. I think I should be able to
send:

<soap:Body>
        <soap:NoahsBogusSoapElement>
        </soap:NoahsBogusSoapElement>
</soap:Body>

Furthermore, we don't even rule out sending a Fault with other elements,
we just indicate that it won't be recognized as a fault.  No doubt, we
could change that, but it's the compromise we adopted and I don't want to

All things considered, I think our original schema is the best compromise.
 I believe it matches the prose in the case of both Fault and non-Fault
boby child elements.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142