RE: AFTF requirements, post-2003/02/07 telcon

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:14:44 -0500
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: jones@research.att.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org

David Orchard asks:

>> Could you point to the reasoning why my suggestion on
>> requirement R6 was rejected? I can live without
>> (and prefer to) relative URIs, but I have a tough
>> time living without URI-References.

I think our intention was this.  On the web, resources are named with
absolute URIs.  For example, my web page might be named:

        http://example.org/noah.html

A web resource is never named with a URI reference

        http://example.org/noah.html#somePara

So, we believe parts should be named with absolute URIs, like any other
web resources.

As far as I know, URI References are, as the name implies, a mechanism
available when you REFER to a resource.  THESE WE DO INTEND TO ALLOW, as
far as I know.  So you can indeed when referring to my web page say:

        http://example.org/noah.html#somePara

which means:  "find the resource named http://example.org/noah.html,
determine its media-type, and use that to interpret #somepara."  We do
intend to allow such references in a SOAP envelope, or anywhere else, but
the resource is named with the absolute URI.  Similarly:

        ./noah.html#somePara

might resolve to the same document and paragraph, >if a suitable base URI
is known<.  If the binding or other mechanism provides such a base, then
these references will be allowed too.  Still, the name of the resource is
the absolute name.  It's the reference that's richer.  Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142