Re: Proposal for Miffy MIME Headers

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Anish Karamarker writes:
>

>>By that, you mean that receiver/decoder/reconstructor
>>must not require the presence of such headers, but if
>>they are present then they may have to be taken into
>>account. Right?
>

>>Specifically, I am thinking of
>>content-transfer-encoding.
>

> Well, I'm not sure.  The only way we get legal MIME parts into a Miffy
> document is if they are encoded in the way our specification mandates. The
> responsibility of any Miffy "interpreter" is to understand that
> representation, whether or not content-transfer-encoding is specified.

Agreed.
But if content-transfer-encoding is not specified then it defaults to
7-bit. Which won't apply to most of the Miffy use cases (at least what I
envision as to where Miffy would result in the most benefit). In most
cases, the content-transfer-encoding would  be 'binary' (unless a
transport such as SMTP is used, in which case it prabably will be 'base64').

> certainly agree that if specified the content-transfer-encoding must not
> lie, and I think it might be of use to generalized non-Miffy-aware tools.
> I'm not sure I see how its presence would affect the processing that would
> otherwise be done by a Miffy interpreter.

If the content-transfer-encoding is 'base64' then the Miffy interpreter
would have to apply the correct decoding.

> I think this may boil down to reconfirming that Miffy offers no
> optionality in the encoding used, regardless of whether the header is
> present.  Agreed?  Thanks.

Pl see my other email (sent in response to your email sent to
xmlp-comments).

Thanks for raising the issue on xml-comments.