Re: Issue: Table 17 (Spec part 2, discrepancies

From: Herve Ruellan <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:29:44 +0200
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
>>An alternative proposal is to change table 23 such that env:Sender is
>>mapped to a HTTP 500 status code. This would then map cleanly
>>with the
>>existing table 17. This would have the added advantage of allowing us
>>to remove table 23 since env:Sender is the only fault not currently
>>mapped to a 500 status code.
> Hmm, I think we have the same problem regardless of the HTTP status
> code. It may not be too bad to do what Herve suggests, maybe expressing
> it in terms of SOAP messages rather than the content type:

I agree. This doesn't appear in table 20 or table 23, but a responding
SOAP node may return a 500 Status Code without any SOAP fault in it.

> * * * * *
> A 400 Bad Request indicates that the message exchange completed
> unsuccessfully:
> 	Instantiated Property		Value
> 	context:FailureReason 		"fail:BadRequest"
> If a SOAP message is included in the HTTP response then the next state
> is "Sending+Receiving", otherwise it is "Fail".
> * * * * *

I like the expression of the next state in terms of SOAP messages (it
leaves the sending SOAP node free of how to check if the response
contains or not a SOAP message).

However, in order to be more verbose about the meaning of this response
code (like for other response codes).
I therefore propose a friendly amendment to Henrik's proposal:

Indicates a problem with either the received HTTP request message or the
received SOAP message. This operation SHOULD NOT be repeated with the
same message content.

     Instantiated Property        Value
     context:FailureReason        "fail:BadRequest"

If a SOAP message is included in the HTTP response, the local binding
instance continues to receive the incomind message. The next state is
Otherwise, the message exchange is regarded as having completed
unsuccessfully. The next state is "Fail";